Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Can't Stop Quoting Brede

Perhaps the complete but simple message of You Can Share the Faith could be summed up with this short passage from In This House of Brede 
Nowadays there's a tendency to make everything utilitarian--even the things of the spirit," said Dame Claire. "Beware of this," and, "That wasn't the way of the saints," said Dame Ursula. "They didn't set out to be of use."  
"Nor they did," said Hilary in surprise.  
"And you needn't worry about being useful," said Dame Ursula. "'When you have become God's in the measure he wants, he, himself, will know how to bestow you on others.'" She was quoting St. Basil. 

I finished In This House of Brede about a week and a half ago. Expect an avalanche of quotes.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Wow that is beautiful. More confirmation that I need to read this book soon and with a pen in hand!

elli said...

That is one of my absolute take to a desert island very favorite books of all time and has been since i was 15 :-)

June said...

Your blog was the final hit over the head I needed to revisit this rich story. Bring on the quotes!

Karen Edmisten said...

Ellie, you were much wiser at 14 than I was.

Tamara and June, yes, you must read, and reread. :)

Emily said...

I really do love this book above almost all others. My copy is getting worn!
But that Dame veronica.... "You're not fit to be a woman!" :-P

elli said...

I don't know if i was wiser, nescesarily, but i felt the monastic calling quite strongly, from a very young age :-)