Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Talk

Nothing makes me happier than friends who recommend books.



The Penderwicks at Point Mouette  is the third book in the Penderwicks series. We were every bit as charmed by this one as we were by the others. Thanks to Lissa for first introducing us several years ago to Rosalind, Skye, Jane, Batty, their sweet dad, their friend Jeffrey, and assorted pets and pals.

I don't want to say much so as not to ruin this one for you but suffice to say that we still love these little women.





A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes From My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg was recommended by my friend Danae and it was not only delightful but made me think -- repeatedly -- "Delicious! And that sounds delicious!" One delicious story after another -- cozy, funny, sad, real -- followed by recipes that come from this woman's heart and core. And, given how many real life friends I have made through my blog, I have to mention the fact that she met her husband through her blog. You just never know what will pop up in your Inbox and how it might change your life.

This one is going on my cookbook shelf, if only for the "Winning Hearts and Minds Chocolate Cake" recipe -- but really, no, not just for that. Also for the cabbage salad, the radishes, the glazed cupcakes, the .... you get the idea.

Wizenberg also blogs at Orangette, and has a great index of recipes there.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Just finished The Penderwicks at Point Mouette last night. So good. After reading the three books I fell in love with the main characters so hard that I am seriously considering changing some of my kids' blog nicknames to match their book counterparts. ;)

I can't help it. My 4 year old *is* Batty and my 12 yr old *is* Rosalind.

Karen Edmisten said...

We love them so much, too, Kelly. And we do call Ramona Batty sometimes. :)