Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Last Minute Muggle Baking

I hadn't planned on making Pumpkin Pasties.

I initially figured that as long as we were eating two-fisted (a la Ron Weasley) that anything counted as Harry Potter food. The delivered pizza. The drop sugar cookies that we called Cauldron Cakes. But, planning to attend a midnight movie leads one to do other silly things as well. So, at the last minute, I decided to cobble together my own version of pumpkin pasties.

Mrs. Ed's Quick Pumpkin Pasties

For the crust, I used this basic recipe, found at All Recipes:

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons white sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons milk


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Stir all ingredients together. Divide dough into 12 pieces, and press into greased muffin tin (flatten out on bottom and up sides of tin to create cups.)
3. Bake for 15 min.

Filling:

1 egg, slightly beaten
3/8 cup granulated sugar
1/2 can pumpkin
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Mix all ingredients together. Add filling to baked crusts. Bake for 30-40 min. at 350 degrees.

Allow to cool slightly, then pop the pasties out of the muffin tin, and say something in a British accent.

Eat, visit with friends, go to movie. Go home. Collapse.

You're done.

(Oops! Just updated this to add the milk to the recipe. I didn't have evaporated milk, which I usually use in pumpkin pie. I added a small amount of skim milk instead, and the pasties were still delicious.)

11 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Pip pip, cheerio and Bob's your uncle they sound good to me! Have fun at the movie!

Roxane B. Salonen said...

I love anything with pumpkin -- they sound wonderful.

Later mate!

Colleen said...

Awesome! What fun!

Theresa said...

Sounds great!Hope you had a great time!

The Bookworm said...

At least I can do the British accent! The pasties sound yummy, but not what I would call a pasty - I would call them pumpkin tarts ;).

Warren said...

I went to the midnight screening of the movie too. ;-)

I wish I'd worn my Gryffindor scarf though.

There were a few people who dressed up for the occasion.

:-)

W

Karen Edmisten said...

I need to knit some Gryffindor scarves.

Bookworm, I know ... I cheated! :-O

Warren said...

I posted my thoughts on the movie here:

http://floodthepathwithlight.blogspot.com/

W

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

I would love for someone to explain the difference between a pasty and a tart. They're not the same?

That request doesn't sound G-rated but I promise it is.

Karen Edmisten said...

Tarts are little pies. Pasties are sealed dough, like little pockets.

Have I got it right, Bookworm?

Here's a link that shows some tarts first, then pasties.

Kaplan Tutoring said...

Yum! Pumpkin pasties always sounded like the one of the most delicious snacks in the books. We'll pass this on to our Harry Potter loving parents for a fun family activity!