Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Rich Mullins


May the souls of the faithful departed
through the mercy of God
rest in peace.




Ten years ago today, Rich Mullins died in a car accident.

I didn't meet the music of Rich Mullins until about four years after he died (how had I missed him in those nine years of being a Christian?)

The first time I heard him, I fell instantly in love with the sound, the depth of his lyrics and the sweet, sacramental sense that permeated his later music.

One of my favorite of his songs is "The Love of God":

There's a wideness in God's mercy
I cannot find in my own
And He keeps His fire burning
to melt this heart of stone
keeps me aching with a yearning
keeps me glad to have been caught
in the wreckless raging fury
that they call the love of God
Some links worth looking at:

Calling Out Your Name

Regina Doman, remembering him just a very short time after his death.

A tribute at Little Homeschool on the Prairie.

5 comments:

Singing Ragamuffin said...

Oh my, it was ten years ago today wasn't it? I didn't even realize that until I saw your post.

I didn't know him then either. I got Saved in high school but I lived in a small town that didn't have a Christian radio station. I didn't start listening to CCM until 2002. I bought the Here in America CD/DVD, and was so inspired by it that I then bought other CDs and DVDs by Rich Mullins. I am really looking forward to meeting him in Heaven.

Jane Ramsey said...

I love Rich Mullins, too. What amazing talent he had! "Calling Out Your Name" is one of my favorite songs.

monica said...

just recently started reading your blog through nearcirle. had to put in my fave rich mullins memory. i was BIG fan of his in college (10 yrs ago) and i went to his concert for my birthday one year. a friend went to the bathroom and saw Carolyn Arends who opened for him. my friend asked her if rich could say happy birthday to me. and later on in the concert, he did! he was just 20yrs and 2 days older than me, so i got to return the compliment and tell him happy birthday when he was signing autographs after the concert. we miss you rich. Eternal rest

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the link, Karen. I didn't know anyone had read my little tribute until today, when I happened to notice that suddenly it had a lot of comments!

Not long after I wrote that, my 6yo acquired a CD player for his room and asked if he could borrow a CD. I handed him Rich Mullins. The kids turn it on -- LOUD! -- every afternoon and sing and dance to it.

Karen Edmisten said...

Fun and touching to read others' memories.

My kids love him, too.