Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary


During those days Mary set out and went into the hill country in haste to a town of Judah, where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. It happened that when Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the unborn baby leaped in her womb.

Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and cried out in a loud voice and said, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For, lo, at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who believed, for what was spoken to her by the Lord will be fulfilled."

And Mary said: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. For He has looked upon His handmaid's lowliness; for, behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed. For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. His mercy is upon those who fear Him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with His arm. He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He has put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted the lowly. He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent away empty. He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of mercy, as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever."

Mary remained with her for about three months, and then returned to her own house.

~~ Luke 1:39-56

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

I'm checking out your site again and loving it. I'm from the CWO list, which I pray does not go unmoderated. I'm stretched too thin to take it on. I just read your conversion story and your "A Mother's Prayer Time," and was so touched by both. You are a gifted writer and a dear soul. Now and then I read something that touches me and I mock-wail to my husband (it makes him laugh), "I want to be her best friend!" Well, you've entered the Wail Hall of Fame. I wish I could sit in your kitchen and chat a while. I pray my own writing can begin to invite the reader in, in this same way; to impart the meaning while sharing so simply and bravely of mself, entertainment value in tact and the power of the Holy Spirit in evidence. You've really got something, here!

Keep up the great work. In Christ and Mary,

Lisa Mladinich

Karen Edmisten said...

Hi, Lisa! Yes, I remember you from CWO, and now I'm sitting here blushing over your praise. Thank you so much for such kind words! I'm honored to be in the Wail Hall of Fame ... I know the feeling. :-)

Come by for coffee any time. ;-)