Friday, June 16, 2017

Poetry Friday: Leisure


It's been a slightly hectic summer for us so far, but I'm looking forward to some days of lolling around soon. Time to stand and stare ... ah, yes. Good for the soul. 

Leisure
by William Henry Davies


What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this is if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

~~~~~

The Poetry Friday round up is at Carol's Corner.

10 comments:

Kortney said...

Love the image of the sheep and cows also enjoying their leisure!

Karen Edmisten said...

Me, too, Kortney! :)

Tabatha said...

I like "No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night." Wishing you plenty of time to loll!

Linda B said...

It feels like there is a theme running through more than one post, Karen. This is terrific, and I wrote about stopping time to "be", too. Thanks!

Kay said...

Such a good reminder to take time to stand and stare. There are so many good things to take in.

Carol said...

I agree with Linda! There is definitely a theme running through many of the poems this week. I think the universe is trying to tell me something!

Ruth said...

A favorite! Thank you!

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

I feel like more than a few parents could learn from this - so many of the kids in my neighborhood are so over-scheduled with lessons and tutors and classes that they rarely have a moment to just sit and breathe!

Mary Lee said...

Great reminder. I'll make sure I'll stand and stare at least once today!

Mrs. Wyman said...

"No time to see, when woods we pass/Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass" reminds me to slow things down, especially in the summer. Thanks! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/