Monday, March 02, 2015

Good-bye, February, and Good Riddance


Why is the shortest month the longest month?

A few years back, I couldn't find anything (for a Poetry Friday) that expressed my relief at saying farewell to the longestshortest month of the year. So, I wrote my relief in haiku form:

February fades,
Like a guest who stayed too long.
Shut the door, and sigh.

Dear March -- hey, there! Happy to see you arrive!

You can stay for 31 days and I promise not to get exasperated with you.

Photo thanks to FreeImages.com.

7 comments:

Himself said...

Oh, sure, you say that now.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Is there any month of the year we are happier to see end than February? January at least has New Year's Day and Epiphany and all the end of the Christmas season. It's gay and festive and the snow is still a welcome diversion. But February has little to offer. The beginning of Lent. Cold. More snow and more snow and more snow. The only happy thing February has ever brought me was Anthony. I'm quite glad to see it gone.

Karen Edmisten said...

Well, Anthony was a good thing! :) But yes, other than that ... good riddance!

Robyn Campbell said...

The shortest longest month. Love that! Fantastic haiku. :-)

Tricia said...

I love your poem. February has always been the darkest month for me. Growing up in western NY, it was always gray and it seemed like we simply slogged through the days. Many years later, I'm still happy to make it through this month. March holds so much promise.

Mary Lee said...

Now that we're past it I can say this -- we need that awful dark coldness to help us fully appreciate spring with completely full hearts, don't we?!?

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, Robyn, and a huge yes, Tricia, to the promise of March! Mary Lee, you are right ... the dark helps us appreciate the light, but sometimes I just know I could do without those sub-zero February days. :)