Monday, September 26, 2011

Bits and Pieces of Our Days

Food stuff lately:

I can't remember where I found this link, or who gave it to me. Or if I just obsessively Googled Nutella one day. But we made these Nutella-Mallow Pillow Pockets from Picky-Palate.com and they were so good. So, so good.  I am inarticulate about their goodness. So, so good.

I don't usually get excited about marshmallow-anything, but the marshmallow subordinates itself entirely to the Nutella and it's a win-win situation. I didn't have puff pastry sheets, so we subbed shells, and it worked out great:



Flaky, chocolatey, sugary goodness.

In other food news, we recently realized that Kentucky Fried Chicken had never passed our children's lips. This is not because we're especially healthy eaters but rather because we're cheap. Quick, fried chicken generally comes from the grocery store's deli rather than from the Colonel. But, we had KFC for dinner recently and my girls, always pro-grease, approved.

Also, Atticus keeps asking me to stop making the crack cocaine of granola bars but I can't stop.

~~~~~~~~~~

Both of my older girls just attended a college fair. BOTH. OF. THEM.

~~~~~~~~~~

The older girls also volunteered to help lead a youth group and they are learning a lot about the junior high psyche. Even though those early teen years are not all that far in their own pasts, it's one thing to endure that stage of life and quite another to try to govern it in another human being. I think they've discovered that "junior high psyche" and "junior high psycho" sound eerily similar.

~~~~~~~~~~

Ramona and I are reading A Little Princess. Thinking "Ramona" and "Princess" reminded of this post from 2005, the year I started this blog. Time's winged chariot and all that. Life rushes by too fast, and I just keep holding on, hoping that I'm not blinking too much and missing something.

~~~~~~~~~~

Movies of late: Just watched The Fugitive with Anne and Betsy. Watching Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South with Betsy, and we're due very soon for another installment.

6 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I am often reminded, as I read your blog, of just how much I wish you lived closer.

Because I'm not willing to move my stuff.

And because you are simply just that cool.

Karen Edmisten said...

I wish you lived closer, too, Mags, because you are just that cool but, like you, I'm not willing to move my stuff. We shall have to settle on a visit in the middle. :)

Mary Kate said...

Oh my stars! I JUST made those same exact granola bars this weekend! They truly are the crack cocaine of granola bars! We've tried so many different combos (choc. chips and dried cherries, cinnamon almonds and raisins, etc) and that's what I live about them; SO versatile. In our family of 8 (almost 9!), the 8x8 pan size doesn't last long, so I tried doubling it and using a bigger pan, but it doesn't work. Now, we just double it and use to 8x8 pans. (Still doesn't last long!). If you want to feel slightly better about making them, you can throw in a small handful of flaxseed, and call them "healthy"! lol

Mary Kate said...

that should be *two* 8x8 pans. Sorry!

Sweetness and Light said...

My dh and I love the Fugitive, not sure dd is quite ready for it though. We are SO going to make the pillow pockets, YUM!!! Thanks for the link ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me laugh with the junior high psyche vs. psycho. I'm doing a practicum in a junior high and it is a fine line between them.

-A