Sunday, March 06, 2011

Ummm ... How Did I Forget That I Had This Letter from Madeleine L'Engle?

Today, for a current writing project of mine, I was digging through some ancient papers. I found an old journal of mine from late 1989. Taped into the front cover was a letter.

Apparently I had written what could only be called a fan letter to Madeleine L'Engle. I was in my twenties and I thought that maybe --  perhaps, possibly, who-knows, someday -- I might write something that someone would publish. I must have shared that thought with her.

And I received this in return:


What a kind and gracious soul to take the time to respond to a (gushing, I'm sure) young woman who wrote to share her admiration and aspirations.

Forgotten for twenty-two years.

Rediscovered today.

Treasured for all time.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! That is so exciting!!! I'm all a-flutter. :)

Lori said...

How fun! I have a letter from Roald Dahl that I've treasured for years...

Theresa said...

How neat!!! What a treasure! (And how cute are you writing a fan letter to an author?)

tanita✿davis said...

How kind she was -- oh, how lovely to have a personal note!!

Kimberlee said...

That is so cool! How wonderful that you discovered it!

Lynch Family said...

Fantasy writers are the greatest! I interned with a literary agent in NY when I was in college, she worked with all science fiction and fantasy folks and they were the kindest most interesting authors I have ever met. I wrote a fan letter to Sherwood Smith and got a lengthy and beautiful reply that I still treasure. Awesome!

Danae said...

That is so awesome!

Beth said...

Karen, this makes me smile. It also makes me think I should share my Madeleine notes. I wrote her my first gushing letter around the age of 16, and she sent me a beautiful, affirming note (much like this one) which I still keep and treasure. I actually took the liberty to write her a few more times over the next several years, sending her some poems (I think) and even a wedding invitation (because her work had formed such an important part of my thinking about marriage). She responded graciously *every* time.

What a wonderful woman. What lovely treasures!

laurasalas said...

She is my favorite classic children's writer. In fact, my younger daughter is Madeleine (with-an-e :>) partially after Madeleine L'Engle.

I always wanted to hear her speak, but I never did...

Pentimento said...

Wow! That's quite wonderful.