Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An Epistolary Blog Post


My dear Lissa,

I am writing to thank you for alerting me to the existence of a charming epistolary novel, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

When I initially saw it mentioned on your blog (which also, by the way, is most charming), the title did not appeal to me for some vague, indefinable reason.

Perhaps it was because "Guernsey" brought to mind images of cattle and I was not of a mind to read about cows. I can see cows when I drive to the grocery store (though it still occasionally startles me) and the idea of reading about them did not quicken my pulse.

Why the Guernsey Channel Islands, World War II, or captivating characters did not occur to me, I shall never know. Perhaps it is because, although I am not originally from Nebraska, this place has over these many years seeped into my bones and the seepage causes me at times to think immediately of livestock.

But I digress.

I loved Juliet -- and her wit and honesty -- immediately. I shall not breathe another word about anything or anyone else I loved, lest it ruin this delightful summer (or winter, or autumn, or perhaps even -- yes, I think so -- spring) read for others.

I will say only this to anyone who has intercepted this message -- this surprising and winsome book is not about livestock. Various animals do play a part. Yes, they must. But they appear in a way which is not startling and is, in fact, wholly satisfying.

Yours ever,

Karen

P.S. Kiss Huck for me. It is unbearably painful to be a long-distance godmother.

6 comments:

Theresa said...

Dearest Karen,
You've convinced me that I have to read it, now that I know it is not about cows.I confess I had the same mistaken ideas concerning this book and livestock.
Yours,
Theresa

cindy kay said...

Dear Karen,
How interesting! I, too, have recently read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and found it captivating and enjoyable.
Sincerely,
A Fellow Reader

Lissa said...

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your charming letter, which made my day. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I knew you would! It is full of kindred spirits, isn't it?

And not at all full of cows.

With love,
Lissa
P.S. Don't you wish we could take a trip to Guernsey together someday?

The Bookworm said...

Dear Karen and Lissa,

Please may I come too?

Here is the ferry timetable.

With love,
Kathryn

PS. Loved the book too.

Karen Edmisten said...

Dear Kathryn,

Oh, do please come! How lovely. And how clever and organized of you to include the timetable.

Theresa and Mom Huebert, do join us, won't you?

Yours in Literature,
Karen

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Wasn't that an excellent book? I so enjoyed it. That was the best book I've read so far this summer.