Sunday, May 31, 2009

Divine Fire




Come, Holy Spirit!








Today is the great feast of Pentecost, the day on which we celebrate the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles. It's the birthday of the Church -- a day fit for celebration!

For great ideas, see:
Women for Faith and Family
Catholic Culture
Catholic Cuisine

Tomorrow, we'll be back to Ordinary Time, which, in one sense, means we are simply ordering, or counting the days until the next great liturgical season. The Easter decorations will all come down, and life once again will be "ordinary." And yet, I find nothing about day-to-day existence in this world to be ordinary, if by that one means dull and pedestrian. "Ordinary Time" is full of ideas, things and people to celebrate, discover, and learn about.

And, speaking of learning -- how's your relationship with the Holy Spirit? Several years ago, I was at a point in my Catholic journey at which I felt that I "got it" regarding God the Father. And Jesus, the Son? I got it. But, the Holy Spirit? Wait, back up on that one ... He didn't make a lot of sense to me. A priest advised me to pray for the Holy Spirit to more fully reveal His work and power in my life, to make me more aware of my relationship with Him, to help me to "get it."

I don't want to bore you with details, but I will say this: when I prayed for a deeper understanding of and relationship with the Holy Spirit, I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into.

Be careful what you ask for ... He always means business.
Come Holy Spirit, and fill the hearts of your faithful, and kindle in them the fire of Your Divine Love. Send forth Your Spirit and they shall be created, and You shall renew the face of the earth. Oh God, Who by the light of the Holy Spirit instructed the hearts of the faithful, Grant, that by the same Spirit we may be truly wise and ever rejoice in His consolation. We ask this through Christ Our Lord. Amen.
Painting: Giotto's Pentecost, c. 1305

No comments: