Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Picture Perfect Childhood: book review

Cay Gibson's new book, A Picture Perfect Childhood is a picture perfect resource.

Let's get one thing straight: I love picture books.

Awhile back, I had an afternoon to myself. I was at a bookstore, and a friend had instructions to hunt me down in the stacks, and from there we had plans for lunch. When he found me in the children's section, he said, "I thought this was supposed to be time for you!"

I was non-plussed. What on earth would make him think that wandering through a garden of picture books wasn't for me?

Cay Gibson understands.

And, in A Picture Perfect Childhood, she has put together delectably long lists of books for all ages. Picture books? Yes. But picture books are for all ages.

Alicia Van Hecke's terrific and detailed review over at Love2Learn will fill you in on the many kinds of lists available in this book.

This isn't necessarily a book to be "read" although Cay's warm encouragement will surely convince you to spend more time with your children and books. Rather, it's a resource to be both skimmed and scoured, highlighted, dog-eared, carried to the library and kept by the computer, right next to the "Add to shopping cart" button.

Disclaimer: I was privy to a sneak-peek of this book a few months back, and was able to offer a bit of proofreading, etc. Cay was kind to mention me in her acknowledgements, but I have no stake in the book. I admire the labor of love that is Picture Perfect Childhood. The amount of work and dedication it takes to put together comprehensive booklists, such as this one, and Maureen Wittmann's For the Love of Literature is staggering to me, and I thank the women who do this incredible work for all of us.

2 comments:

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

Books make me happy. I'll have to check that out.

Mary Machado said...

My idea of a great place to spend my leisure time is in the children's section of a book store, too!