Monday, March 06, 2006

Label Me Schizophrenic


My latest article is out, in Home Education Magazine.

The article is entitled, "Label Me Schizophrenic" and grew out of a post on the Real Learning discussion list (a place on the web that is rich, fertile ground for all kinds of discussions that I greatly appreciate) about the possiblilty of combining a child's self-directed education with direction and guidance from the parent.

The article begins:

Classical. Charlotte Mason. Unschooler. Yup, that’s me. There’s just a slight problem. The labels contradict one another, don’t they? Yes. And no. They’re accurate, but inaccurate. (What is the sound of one textbook flapping? I’ll move beyond the Zen musing and into my point.)

I dislike labels. I refuse to label our homeschool. My aversion to labels has been both advantageous and embarrassing over the five years we’ve been doing this: advantageous, because I’m free to approach learning in a variety of ways, and embarrassing (in the beginning, though I’m over that now) because I never had a succinct answer to, "What curriculum do you use?" I used to hem, haw, stutter and say something about an eclectic mix. I was initially reluctant to say, "We unschool," because most people interpreted that as, “Yes, I really do homeschool because I’m lazy.” I shied away from saying “We’re pursuing a Charlotte Mason education” because I didn't follow CM methods to the letter, and hadn’t even read all of her original writings. I didn't want to say "we’re classical" because, although some classical elements were present, we fell short of the mark and I feared someone would ask me to say, “My child adores The Iliad” in Latin, Greek and one other language of my choice.

So, what was I? It used to bother me, not having a definitive answer. But these days, when faced with The Question, I look my inquisitor in the eye and brazenly reply, "I design our curriculum myself." It’s a true and simple answer that covers the fluid flexibility of our days. Sometimes I design structure, routines and the tackling of a workbook. At other times, our copywork from classic literature would make Charlotte Mason quiver with pride at the thought of her mentoring. And often – quite often – my design includes open-ended time full of reading, writing, observing, talking, experimenting and growing.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am hesitant to label our family's learning as well. I think we are a gumbo of CM, Montessori, Classical, Montessori, definitely Catholic, Unschooling book loving folks who don't really fit into any of those labels exclusively.

Anonymous said...

Yipee!!!
Wonderful, Karen!
Thanks for letting us know. I look forward to reading the whole thing. : )

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, all!

Becky, I think you've coined a new description:

Gumbo-schooling. :-)

Cindy said...

Love it, Karen.

I subscribed to HEM just to read the rest!

Wonder if you hit upon this in the article.. sometimes labels are nice so like-minded people can find each other? Best reason I have had to claim one, but I like going 'Label-less' much better!

Great job!
Cindy

Karen Edmisten said...

Cindy wrote: "sometimes labels are nice so like-minded people can find each other?"

Cindy, that's an excellent point! And no, I didn't go far enough in the article to consider it. I just ranted a little. :-) But you're right -- though labels may be inadequate, they can be helpful for that reason.

Friar Suppliers said...

Well done Karen! We don't fit any label too well either. Unless "frazzled mother who buys too many books" is a label.

Can't wait to read the rest.

Alice Gunther said...

We defy category as well, Karen. Glad to see we are in such good company.

Congratulations on the article. I can't wait to read it!