Saturday, January 14, 2006

I can't keep up with these guys


Of course, as a homeschooling mom, I shouldn't set unrealistic expectations for my reading. I know no one expects me to match, book for book, Dale Ahlquist, Mark Brumley, Fr. Fessio, Thomas Howard, Peter Kreeft, Sandra Miesel, Michael O'Brien, Carl Olson, Joseph Pierce and Edward Peters. Still, I can't help but drool over some of the reading on their lists.

Check out this link at Ignatius Insight to see what these folks read in 2005.

My reading list was a bit more humble. In the last year, here's some of what I managed to read:


A Cry of Stone by Michael O'Brien
Sophia House by Michael O'Brien
Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen
Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade
Homeschooling with Gentleness by Suzie Andres
Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves by Alison McKee
A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot
Seasons of a Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson
Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
Why Women Need Chocolate by Debra Waterhouse
Harry Potter books 3-6 by J.K. Rowling
Teacher Man, by Frank McCourt

and, of course, read-alouds to the kids. Lots of read-alouds to the kids.

Current reads: I'm rereading, after a number of years, both Sheldon Vanauken's A Severe Mercy and C.S. Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet.

Now, to set reading goals for 2006; haven't done that yet. I'll get back to you.

2 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

Great list, Karen. I was a bit abashed recently when my eldest commented, "Mommy, you buy yourself so many books, but you never seem to get to them." So much for leading by example! I do manage to finish all the children's read alouds though!

Cay Gibson said...

Alice wrote:
""Mommy, you buy yourself so many books, but you never seem to get to them."

My dh told me this the other day!!!!

But I do read them. I really do. He's usually snoring next to me...
LOL