Friday, March 31, 2006

The Temperament God Gave You

I've been reading this book -- a gift from my dear friend, Andrea -- and had to share these terrific snippets that open chapter 6, "Understanding Your Child's Temperament":

Love contains the acknowledgment of the personal dignity of the other, and of his or her absolute uniqueness.

-- John Paul II, Letter to Families


Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

-- Ephesians, 6:1-4


Each child is a unique and unrepeatable person and must receive individualized formation.

-- Pontifical Council for the Family

2 comments:

Liz said...

Just got the book, took the test, got the expected result - sanguine, actually incredibly sanguine. Like anyone should be surprised! Dd comes out phlegmatic/sanguine, but could probably go the other way (numbers were very close). Since we already know that dh is phlegmatic and ds is melancholic, well we're beginning to figure out why some things bug each of us so much!

I am amazed the degree to which spiritual growth/maturity does seem to make changes in how our temperament is expressed. For example, as a kid I loved parties, I loved planning parties, I loved having parties, I loved going to parties (actually I really enjoyed the ones I threw the best). Now after being married to a phlegmatic for over 30 years I'm not so crazy about going to parties, and I rarely throw any except for family. I think that I would still like parties except for having to drag other people along who are resistant. I've done the accomodating, make everyone happy thing by not having them. Still and all if I had my way, we'd probably have more parties. So do you check enjoy parties when it's hard to do so anymore? I did because that's my basic tendency.

Enter the room talking - what a great description.

BTW I'll bet that Betsy has a bit of the sanguine in her as well. Only a sanguine or choleric would try to start two newspapers at once.

Karen Edmisten said...

Liz,
Yes, the book is great for zeroing in on those little matters of irritation, isn't it? :-)
And I think you're right -- Betsy is probably sanguine or choleric, though I don't have her totally pegged yet. Anne is definitely melancholic like her mother.