Friday, January 27, 2017

Poetry Friday: Coffee, How Do I Love Thee?



I've been sick with a cold all week. That means, yes, you can feel sorry for me, and yes, I've been operating on partial-fuzz-brain, so I've relied heavily on coffee. (Oh, let's be honest...when do I not rely heavily on coffee? This week was no different than any other week, except that it involved a larger number of Kleenex boxes and lot of coughing.)

At any rate, my coffee dependency made me think of this poem I wrote way back in 2007.

Happy Poetry Friday, happy coffee drinking, and here's to health!


How Do I Love Thee, Coffee? Let Me Count the Ways 
by Karen Edmisten
(with sincere apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My cup can reach.

I love thee to the level of everyday's
most quiet need (which is to start the day with you.)

I love thee freely (as I strive to awaken.)
I love thee purely (as one who is addicted.)
I love thee with a passion (which is embarrassing.)

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
when I was pregnant
(and had morning-noon-and-night sickness)
but my love is so strong
it was reclaimed when all sickness had passed.

I love thee with the breath (though coffee breath be not pleasant)
with the Smiles, tears, of all my life!

and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death,
for surely there is coffee in Heaven.

~~~~~

Carol Varsalona has the round up this week at Beyond Literacy Link

12 comments:

author amok said...

The mention of coffee breath -- followed closely with its rhyming word breath, had me laughing. Thanks for making me smile today.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, Laura. It wouldn't be about coffee without the mention of coffee breath, right? :)

Carol Varsalona said...

Karen, this line, "I love thee to the depth and breadth and height/My cup can reach.," tells me you are a serious coffee drinker. Coffee breath is a line stopper. Since you have been ill and I have been too (3 wks.), I want to share my post on being under the weather. Hopefully, you will laugh and have a cup of coffee to celebrate what you need when ill. My husband made me a hot chocolate tonight.
http://wg.wonderopolis.org/blog/under-the-weather

Alice Nine said...

Cute imitation! And thank you for the laughs! Now, even though it's the end of the day, I'm wanting a cup of coffee. Your fault!

Kay said...

Thank you for the laughter and smiles your poem brought. I agree. I have to have my coffee (or mocha in my case) to get my day started.

Mary Lee said...

Hope you are feeling better! Your poem makes me laugh, so I am feeling better!!!

BJ Lee said...

Funny poem! You gave me a good laugh for which I thank you! I hope you feel better!

Whispers from the Ridge said...

Coffee cures, Karen! Love the poem. Hope you feel better soon!

Ruth said...

Sorry about your cough! I'm glad coffee helps!

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

I'm afraid my favorite line is the very honest parenthetical, "coffee breath be not pleasant". LOL I'm a tea drinker. Hope you are all better soon.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I hope you feel better soon.

Sonja said...

Karen, I'm feeling your pain. I love the poem. It reminded me of G.K. Chesterton who had written at least one ode to his favorite drink of choice as well. I think it's time for coffee here, too!