Tuesday, December 27, 2005

342 shopping days until St. Nicholas Eve


Though it sounds obsessively organized, it really means I'm chintzy.

I like to hit the after-Christmas sales and put a couple of things away for next December 6th, the feast of St. Nicholas. St. Nicholas gifts at our house are small, but fun. One thing the kids usually get is a Christmas ornament. They have a great collection going for when they (sniff, sniff) grow up and move out. This is also a great time to pick up those Christmas-y socks that I would never spend $3.99 on (I told you I'm chintzy) but that I gleefully purchase for ninety-nine cents.

Small Christmas crafts are on sale now, too. But, I'll have you know (she said defensively) I do not buy the Christmas candy a year in advance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Someone else likes to "stock up" on Christmas before this Octave ends.
I have many presents bought for next year which were way way less expensive on 12/26 than they were on 12/24.
I didn't think to get myself socks...next year!

Mb

Anonymous said...

Of course, some of us like to give gifts on Ephiphany as well as Christmas (although I'm skipping the 12 days thing this year - tried it last year, but it was too much stress). I just found the marble chess set for my son that I've been wanting to get for him, like forever, at half price (finally reasonable!) today. They had just two left and one was even the right color. Yeah!. If I could just convince people to only go for Ephiphany gifts I'd save a bundle and perhaps Christmas could just be about the best present.

Karen Edmisten said...

We celebrate Epiphany with acknowledgements, reading and cake, but we've never done gifts. This year, there were a couple of things I didn't get the kids that I still wanted to give them, so I decided that they could be Epiphany gifts. But I don't think they'd ever give up the Christmas gift-giving ... no, no, no, that would be far too radical for my little gift traditionalists. :-)