Thursday, March 14, 2024

Poetry Friday: "The Lake Isle of Innisfree"


Some days call for a reliable, beloved, gorgeous one from William Butler Yeats. 



The Lake Isle of Innisfree

by W. B. Yeats


I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.


(This poem is in the public domain.) 

~~~~~~~~~~

The one and only Tanita Davis is hosting Poetry Friday this week. 
Join her for all kinds of poetic goodness. 

13 comments:

Denise Krebs said...

Karen, what a sweet St. Patrick's Day gift from you and W.B. Yeats. I so loved this line "And live alone in the bee-loud glade." Bee-loud glade! What a beautiful image.

Linda B said...

It's like an invitation from him to all of us to find that feeling of peace—his in Innisfree, but ours can be another place. Thanks, Karen!

elli said...

Ah, such a lovely poem. Thank you for sharing (reminding me of it's existence). Wishing you a peace-filled Sabbath๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’š

Sarah Grace Tuttle said...

A treat of a poem! So lovely, to imagine that "bee-loud glade." Thank you for sharing!

tanita✿davis said...

Each and every time I read this poem (or hear it recited - our English teacher in high school was a champ for that), I focus on a different bit. For a long time, it was the bean rows, the bee-loud glade, and I LOVED the linnet's wings, and dearly wanted to see one in real life.

Today, the peace that comes "dropping slow," and grey pavement both strike me - here in the world of adulthood and responsibility and wildly fluctuating power bills, where I live. And I think of all the delightfulness which STILL exists - and it reminds me that I need to find MY Innisfree, wherever I can, to "seek peace, and pursue it."

Thank you for this! Have a glorious weekend.

Patricia Franz said...

I will arise and go... Might be a wonderful prompt for me today. Search for peace dropping slow. Thank you, Karen!

Tabatha said...

This is one of the poems we are going to be enjoying for Yeats Day on Sunday, Karen! This and Wandering Aengus and Where My Books Go and The Second Coming and He Wishes and The Stare's Nest. Maybe that's too much? Thanks for the headstart. xo

Mary Lee said...

Ahh...thank you for this!

Linda Mitchell said...

Having the darndest time getting to the comment page today...finally made it. This is the last poem I'm reading before taking a break...I want to say in these lines in my mind for a bit. Beautiful and perfect.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thank you for this, Karen! A beautiful poem indeed.

laurasalas said...

This is always such a beautiful and meditative poem. Thanks for sharing, Karen!

Bridget Magee said...

Yeats for the win, Karen. "bee-loud" is my motto these days... ;)

Michelle Kogan said...

Beautiful and lovely, I love hearing "water lapping" especially from a pond or lake, so calming, thanks Karen!