Thursday, April 12, 2018

Poetry Friday: World Make Way, edited by Lee Bennett Hopkins (and pssst: Happy Birthday!)


Could you resist this book? 

I couldn't. I ordered it the second I saw it. 

World Make Way: New Poems Inspired by Art from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, edited by Lee Bennett Hopkins, is precisely what the title says it is. This lovely book begins with this splendid quote from Leonardo da Vinci: 

"Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, 
and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen."

(Pardon me while I pause and nod in appreciation.) 

The poets are delightful, the selections delicious. Here's a snapshot (from the backcover) of the featured artists and poets: 


I'm sure I need not say more? 
(I'll get out of your way as you race to your local indie bookstore....) 

~~~~~

Oh, one more thing: 

Happy 80th birthday to Lee Bennett Hopkins, 
Poetry Advocate Extraordinaire! 
Thank you, Sir Hopkins, for all that you do 
to champion the beauty of language and share it with children the world over. 

~~~~~

Robyn Hood Black has the Poetry Friday round-up 
(and a bunch more birthday wishes for Lee) 

17 comments:

Alice Nine said...

Thanks< Karen, for the book review... and I love the quote by Leonardo da Vinci.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Thank you for highlighting this special book, Karen - so much to celebrate this month! Wishing you artistic and poetic inspirations all month long. :0)

jan godown annino said...

Such a beautiful cover suggesting the beauty Lee has placed inside. Appreciations for celebrating it & Sir Lee with your poetic lines. Love.

Linda B said...

I love seeing more about this book, still need to get it, Karen. Thanks for the celebration!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

I've got this one on order. :)

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

He does such wonderful anthologies. I can't wait to take a peek. I love that Mary Cassatt is in the book as well as wonderful female poets.

jama said...

This one is definitely one of my favorite LBH collections. Thanks for spotlighting it this week. :)

Buffy Silverman said...

Thanks for highlighting this one--it's on my wish list!

Kay said...

Yes, yes, yes, I do want this book! It is definitely on my wish list!

leebennetthopkins.com said...

THANK YOU so much, Karen.

Christie Wyman said...

You sold me, Karen. Going to me fave indie tomorrow in search of a copy!

Michelle Kogan said...

An intriguing book of poems and art thanks for sharing it, I'm looking forward to my own copy!

Carol said...

I love the DaVinci quote and can't wait to dive into the book. Going to track it down this weekend!

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Looking forward to reading this! Thanks for sharing, Karen.

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

I love that cover! Can't wait to tuck into this one!

Catherine Flynn said...

Can't wait to get a copy of this new book!

LifePoemsProject.com said...

Your poem affected life?! Yes, you can share your lovely poem and its great "after story" with the world... Submit now on LifePoemsProject.com