Friday, January 12, 2018

Poetry Friday: I, Too by Langston Hughes


Give me your tired, your poor 
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Because this is America.
Because this is who we are, or are supposed to be.
Because no country is a sh--hole and no human being is disposable.

I, Too
by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

(Read the rest at The Poetry Foundation.)

~~~~~

The Poetry Friday round-up is at Bookseed

14 comments:

jan godown annino said...

Appreciations for reminding me of this great poet in the pantheon of USA writers.
We are still learning the lessons left by his legacy.

elli said...

Oh I love that poem — one of my favorites of his. Thanks Karen. xox

Linda Mitchell said...

One of my favorites....and so comforting today.

Books4Learning said...

What a beautiful and empowering poem! I love his poems.

Darren said...

I LOVE Hughes' poetry. And this is one of his best.

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

Such a tragedy that Hughes' words are as necessary and timely now as they were when first written.

GatheringBooks said...

We need voices like Langston Hughes now more than ever. Thank you for sharing these beautiful lines. Great reminder of everything that America (should) stand(s) for.

Linda B said...

It is a poem everyone can cling to, Karen. Thank you!

Mary Lee said...

Amen, amen, AMEN!!

Kay said...

Yes, yes and yes. I, too, have been turning to the poetry of Langston Hughes. His words speak so powerfully to today.

mbhmaine said...

I love this poem. Thanks for sharing it. I think today might be a good day to binge read some Langston Hughes.

Michelle Kogan said...

We need to shout it from the top of the tallest mountain, and whisper it from the most secluded spot, All colors, all races, and all religions "sing America." Boy do we need lots of Langston Hughes and Mya Angelou today, thanks Karen!

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

Amen, sister. With such simple words, the world shall change.

Keri said...

Amen!