Friday, July 14, 2017

Poetry Friday: Mac and Cheese and ... Haiku?

July 14th is National Macaroni and Cheese Day (that's okay -- I didn't know it existed either) and Tabatha is seizing the day. She's hosting a cheesy Poetry Friday, and I am lamenting days gone by.



Casserole Woes 

by Karen Edmisten

We savored the stuff. 
 O, lactose intolerance!*
No more mac and cheese.

* I'm not the one with lactose intolerance, but since I've been tiptoeing (tentatively, with many stumbles over stubborn old habits) down the vegan road, I guess I should be thankful that Betsy's lactose intolerance has helped get certain cheesy dishes out of our house. And yet ... and yet ... O, cheese! Food of the gods! How I love you! Can I ever really let you go?

Hey, I can call that haiku, too:

Cheese...food of the gods! 
How I love you. Alas, can I 
let you go? 

Okay, I think it's time to stop. 

For a starchy, cheesy Poetry Friday, visit Tabatha at The Opposite of Indifference.

11 comments:

Tabatha said...

Good luck with your cuisine changes! We have an assortment of dining issues at my house, including one low-sodium eater and one high-sodium eater (yes, that's really a thing). :-)

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

Comfort foods and thoughts of nutrition just don't go together. LOL

Rebecca Herzog said...

I love these two poems, and they came at just the right time. my 8mo last night had a reaction to ice cream. Here's to hoping it's not a full blown dairy allergy!

Buffy Silverman said...

I have lived with a vegetarian for 35 years now--but I don't think I could go down the vegan/lactose intolerant road. At least it gave you two fun haikus!

tanita✿davis said...

My mother's lactose intolerance has made us the most creative cooks! My little sister makes a baked pasta dish that has no cheese in it, but it's... delicious and unctuous and all good flavorful things... just can't call it mac-and-cheese. Both my parents are vegan now and my brother, and since we are most of us vegetarians, it's not that bad a jump, but... yeah. Changes! Big changes! They say those changes keep our minds agile, right???

Here's hoping!

Anonymous said...

I eat HEAPS of vegies - but could never become vegetarian, even though many of our meals are. There is just something yummy about meat and dairy in a balanced way. (And how could a pig farmer's daughter/grazier's wife be vegetarian. ;) ) I'm not a big nibble-cheese lover - but I do love what it brings to a meal! I feel your pain - and love your haiku. :)

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Both of these are little masterpieces, even the "found" one. Your reflections and all the comments are making me think that a good way to eat was probably the "old" way, but that, like riding a bike, once you learn the new way (can you say "SAD"?) you never forget--and so learning old tricks is really hard. I'm finding that paleo with dairy (ie low carb) works pretty well for me but is so very hard to pull off in public. *sigh* we'll get there.

Kay said...

Good luck with the new diet. I move trying new foods, but I would hate to give up my cheese and dairy.

Carol said...

I could probably give up cheese, if I had to, but I could never give up ice cream!!!

Carol Varsalona said...

Two little gems to add to the mac n' cheese collection, Karen. New diets are sometimes hard to digest (LOL)!

Anonymous said...

Love your "Casserole Woes," haikus Karen, especially the second one. Cheese lives on in my house, but I've been away from it for years, your pic is beautiful though, thanks for all!