Friday, April 07, 2017

Poetry Friday: Things to Do by Elaine Magliaro and Catia Chien



Just look at that cover. 
Isn't it delightful? 
Now, open the book. 
(What? You don't have it? Go get it now! 
In the meantime, you can take a peek inside 
by visiting this post on Elaine's blog.) 

~~~~~

In Things to DoElaine Magliaro (the poet) and Catia Chien (the artist) have created a thing of beauty. The poems are whimsical, the illustrations are both simple and rich, and the combination makes for a thoroughly satisfying read-aloud experience.

Today I'm sharing one of my favorites from Things to Do, along with its gorgeous illustration:



Things to do if you are the Moon
by Elaine Magliaro

Live in the sky.
     Be bold...
         OR
     be shy.

Wax and wane 
     in your starry terrain.

Be a circle of light,
just a sliver of white,
         or hide in the shadows
         and vanish from sight.

Look like a pearl
          when you're brim-full
           and bright.

Hang in the darkness.

             Dazzle the night.

~~~~~

Things to Do was published by Chronicle Books in February. After reading about it on Jama's Alphabet Soup (how I love Jama and her Alphabet Soup!) I put it on my "must get" list. Then I was lucky enough to win the drawing Jama held. Huzzah! 

~~~~~

Irene Latham has the Poetry Friday round up this week at Live Your Poem.

And be sure to visit Jama Rattigan's 2017 National Poetry Month Kidlitosphere Events Roundup for a list of all the poetic goodness going around the blogosphere. 

10 comments:

jama said...

So nice to see Elaine's book here. Love the poem you chose to feature today. :)

Katie TheLogonauts said...

So fun! This sounds like a lovely mentor book for kids to try writing in the style of another thing.

Jane @ Raincity Librarian said...

I love the vocabulary - so many beautiful, exciting words to share with young people!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Karen,

I am so happy that you like my book! I was a most fortunate author to have such a talented artist as Catia Chien create the illustrations for my book.

Irene Latham said...

Yes to Jama being THE BEST... and yes to this being a lovely book, cover to cover. Thank you!

Kay said...

The more I see and hear of this book, the more I want to read it!

Linda Mitchell said...

Delightful! Thanks for sharing the Moon doing it's thing with us.

Karen Edmisten said...

So happy to share Elaine's beautiful book with all of you!

Mary Lee said...

I've been using this book all week as a mentor text for students who are writing their narrative nonfiction in verse!

Karen Edmisten said...

Great idea, Mary Lee!