Friday, February 06, 2015

Poetry Friday: Beverly Rollwagen (for the times you want a stunt double)


Ever have one of those days? Of course you have. Every wife, mother, daughter, neighbor, friend has had one of those days.

I have only one complaint about Beverly Rollwagen: I can't find about more about her! Ms. Rollwagen, have you replaced yourself with an understudy who travels incognito? Inquiring understudies want to know.

understudy 
by Beverly Rollwagen

She just wants an understudy, a body
double for the days when she does
not feel like appearing in any of the roles
she has assumed and/or been assigned.

(Read the rest of this very short poem here, at The Writer's Almanac.)

~~~~~

Elizabeth Steinglass has the round up.

10 comments:

Ruth said...

Great! I really like the other one there, too, about secrets.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Yes!

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes, I liked "secrets" too, Ruth.
Glad you can identify, Andromeda! :)

Liz Steinglass said...

Oh yes. No days off, of course.

Sara said...

It IS mysterious that she cannot be found! I must say: I had a rough time with the "no days off" when I was the mom of young ones, but the ad-libbing part? Bring that on! I loved being able to create a life with them. I know you do, too. :)

jama said...

Love the poem and like you, want to know more about Ms. Rollwagen (if that's her real name). I'm thinking people with understudies probably use aliases and/or pen names frequently. :)

Anonymous said...

Every mom needs an understudy. Great poem. :-) I think this is what older kids can do.

Mary Lee said...

Add "teacher" to your list of those who sometimes need a stunt double. (That's actually what I call my subs!!)

Tabatha said...

I liked Mary Lee's comment about subs being "stunt doubles."
I see that Ms. Rollwagen wrote a whole book called "She Just Wants." I wonder what all the other things she wants are?

Karen Edmisten said...

Tabatha, on this Writer's Almanac page, she also wants to be Employed and Essential. I love both of those wants/poems, too.

Mary Lee, yes to subs as stunt doubles!

fft: Older kids as understudies, yes!

Jama, I like your take on her mystery.

Sara, another big yes to creating a life with our kids. :)

Liz, yes, alas. Days off are on a wish list. :)