Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I think we're turning Japanese

This isn't the calligraphy set that Anne received for Christmas, but it looks like a nicely authentic one.

And here's a page that talks about some of the things Anne has been learning about shodo.

One thing I love about our relaxed homeschool is that we make time for the kids to follow their passions. As a result, I've learned from my daughter that there is more than one kind of shodo -- she can tell me about differences between and among hiragana, katakana, kanji ... none of which I knew before she educated me on the subject. As a result of her interest in the calligraphy, she's learned to recognize a few Japanese words, which seems totally beyond this English-speaking-only mom (well, I can manage a few phrases in French, such as "What time is it? ... My name is Karen ... I am happy ... Where is the bathroom?")

This page has an idea Anne would love. Though we couldn't afford these custom-made pieces of calligraphy, I wonder if I could pen the girls' names myself and frame them? It wouldn't be as authentic, and I may make a mistake ... hopefully my version wouldn't translate into, "Where is the bathroom?" but then, there won't be a test.

No comments: