Sunday, December 18, 2005

Did I say only doughnuts?

I failed miserably at avoiding commerce today. It was going to be just those silly doughnuts. But then this morning, the coffee pot broke. So, it was going to be doughnuts and a new coffee pot. That's all. Then, Betsy reminded me that I had not yet gotten her the new boots that I promised her, and Anne with an E already has her boots and couldn't we please, as long as we have to look at coffeepots also just look really quickly at boots? (And yes, she did properly use the adverb there, so what could I say?) So, it was doughnuts and a coffeepot and boots. Sigh.

Seriously, we do try to keep Sunday holy. Normally, it's just those doughnuts, and I try not to buy anything else (but really, I'm already compromising by patronizing a store on a Sunday, so does it matter if I buy only doughnuts or a whole cartload? Which is why I want to cut out the doughnuts. Then there will be no temptation to slide down that slippery food shopping slope.) Then -- normally -- we head home and relax together, have family movie or game time, and my husband or I go to a holy hour. All of those things are lovely ways to keep holy the Sabbath. But coffee pots and boots? I need to work on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog (maybe recommended at the 4RealLearning boards? I can't remember) and really enjoy it.
Jennifer
PS I go out late Saturday night and buy the Krispy Kremes. I have a little time alone and can avoid the Sunday shopping.