Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Another reason to love Fr. Schall

In this article, Fr. Schall says:

"When I am asked whether I am a 'liberal' or a 'conservative,' I reply that I am a 'Thomist.' Needless to say, Thomas, who was once considered a liberal Whig, is now considered a hopeless conservative, even though what he actually held defies such simple categories. In Thomas’s own methodology, the first thing he did was precisely to define what is a liberal or what is a conservative. He then explained why both, while containing some point of truth, were inadequate. "

I love this. I've written on the same issue, but have said, "I'm not a liberal or a conservative, I'm Catholic." Other than that, I said pretty much what Fr. Schall says here ... oh, true, my essay was lacking in other things, such as, ahem, Fr. Schall's eloquence and lucid analysis. But, as I said, other than that ....

No comments: