the crispness of autumn, which brings me back to life after a summer of wilting
inviting friends over for dinner and knowing that not one of them is going to say, "Ummm ... do I have to eat this?"
poetry
our church, so quiet during a holy hour
that I live in a world in which I can go to a museum for free and see works by Monet and Renoir and Van Gogh and Caravaggio and Degas and El Greco and Bouguereau and countless others
bullet points
old houses
the feeling I have when a child's birthday party is over and I know that the soiree was a success
coffee cups
our 20-year-old couch (it started out white ... can you imagine?), which has seen much better days but is still the most comfortable thing in the house
homeschooling my kids
new books ... and old books ... and looking at books ... and getting catalogs about books ....
Atticus making me laugh
Atticus making our children laugh
that life is so completely unpredictable, and that it is the most unpredictable things that make me happy
I'm not sure a 20 year old white couch would even be recognizable in my own home. Our 11 year old couch (which is now up in the playroom/learning room) is desperately screaming for a slipcover.
WE have a patterned burgundy couch and it is FILTHY. I shudder to think about what a white couch would now be like. And if you like old houses, you'd love mine!
What a lovely list.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure a 20 year old white couch would even be recognizable in my own home. Our 11 year old couch (which is now up in the playroom/learning room) is desperately screaming for a slipcover.
WE have a patterned burgundy couch and it is FILTHY. I shudder to think about what a white couch would now be like.
ReplyDeleteAnd if you like old houses, you'd love mine!
Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!
ReplyDeleteI second so many of your votes.
What a wonderful list. Something we should all do on occasion. :)