Pages

▼

Friday, August 24, 2007

I don't mean to make you sad on this Poetry Friday ...

... although this quotation sounds terribly sad:

"As imperceptibly as grief
the summer lapsed away."


It's just so ... so ... so Emily. So perfect.


Here's the whole thing:

As imperceptibly as Grief
The Summer lapsed away—
Too imperceptible at last
To seem like Perfidy—
A Quietness distilled
As Twilight long begun,
Or Nature spending with herself
Sequestered Afternoon—
The Dusk drew earlier in—
The Morning foreign shone—
A courteous, yet harrowing Grace,
As Guest, that would be gone—
And thus, without a Wing
Or service of a Keel
Our Summer made her light escape
Into the Beautiful.

~~ Emily Dickinson

Visit The Book Mine Set for today's complete Poetry Friday Round-up.

9 comments:

  1. Just as summer seems to finally have made it's way to my Northern neck of the woods (actually there's no woods), it's almost over. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I needed some Emily today. I especially love:
    "A courteous, yet harrowing Grace,
    As Guest, that would be gone—"

    Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too odd, but we both picked Emily today-- I see your sadness, and raise you "'Hope' is the Thing with Feathers."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I was so surprised when you commented on my page this morning! I've been reading your site (without commenting) for months!
    And that's one of my favorite gloomy poems - great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beck! I *love* your blog! I didn't know you read mine, though. :-)

    Now, get well soon, and thanks for coming out of lurkdom.

    Ok, who else is hiding out there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the image of 'a light escape.' How can we be sad about that? Escaping into the beautiful. I hope your weekend is also an escape into that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did not make me sad.

    I stumbled across your site after typing in "poetry" in the Catholic search engine - and found your Poetry Fridays. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete