Friday, July 10, 2020

Poetry Friday: It's a Party at Ruth's Place!



Ruth, at There is No Such Thing as a God-forsaken Town is hosting the Poetry Friday party today and she's focusing on — you guessed it — parties. 

I miss parties. 

Well, I didn't actually go to a lot of parties pre-COVID. My INFJ/Enneagram 4/Melancholic/Introverted self didn't exactly seek them out on a regular basis. But, hey. I miss having the option to go to a party. I miss having a few people over for dinner. And mostly, I'm sad that we didn't get to throw the big bash we'd planned for Ramona, who graduated from our homeschool this year.

It would have been the kind of party that John Brandi sums up in this haiku. I can imagine our most beloved friends and family: meaning to leave, but lingering, having one more beer, just another glass of wine, a few more minutes of talk and laughter, moments that stretch into a few more hours.

We'll have that party for Ramona someday.

In the meantime, friends, there's poetry.

10 comments:

Tabatha said...

Raising a glass (of tea) to Ramona and her teacher(s)!

Ruth said...

Thanks for coming to the party, Karen! I can't see the haiku either here in your post or at the link. Can you link directly to it?

Ruth said...

Duh, never mind, I see it now! I clicked on the wrong link!

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks for the toast, Tabatha! :)

Ruth, I'm glad you found it. Thanks again for hosting today. I needed a party. :) xo

Janice Scully said...

I love that you miss the "option to go to a party." That made me laugh. I feel that way too. I'm not a huge party goer but it's great to see people see what people are up to.

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

It's so funny, I feel the same way! I never went to parties, but I did like to have coffee with a friend or two, that was about as social as I ever got, but darn it, I miss those wild and crazy days of yore! We also felt a bit bummed, we had planned to have a family party for our son's first birthday, but as they say, if you want to make God laugh, make plans! A big congratulations to your graduate!

Bridget Magee said...

Having the option to do something is almost as important as actually doing it. Happy graduation to your Ramona!

author amok said...

Sweet haiku, Karen. I am also INFJ. This is me too: "I miss having the option to go to a party." Ha!! Happy graduation to Ramona.

Linda Kulp Trout said...

Karen, I love what you said about missing the option to go to a party. I am also an INFJ, (maybe a lot of us in this group are), but I am missing getting together with family. Congratulations to Ramona!

Michelle Kogan said...

I remember a recent gathering (pre-covid) where we all didn't want to leave… Congratulations to Ramona!

Thanks for sharing and introducing me to John Brandi–love the haiku you shared, and visiting his website–I enjoy finding other poets that are visual artists, many thanks!