1. Atticus and I recently celebrated our 34th anniversary. And by "celebrated" I mean: We talked about how high school speech season dominates every weekend of January and February and part of March we will probably go out to dinner sometime in late March when speech season is over if we even remember at that point that we recently had an anniversary.
2. Re. having to wait until March to celebrate our January anniversary:
Who cares? I'm merely ecstatic that my husband is alive and healthy and there's no more cancer. That's celebration enough. Pass the wine.
3. And here's a post from 2010 with a little tribute to Atticus. Everything in it is still true (plus an extra eight years).
4. I read five books in January while also teaching a Brave Writer class so I'm feeling like a champ of some sort. Time for a book post. Anyone read Castle of Water by Dane Huckelbridge?
5. It's Groundhog Day, so here's my annual Groundhog Day Shrinklit. It's time to watch the movie, methinks.
Karen's Groundhog Day Shrinklit
Phil: at first, a selfish jerk
Focused on his fun and work.
Women were a toy or game
Till every day became the same.
Quite suddenly, no rules apply
Steal some money, tell a lie.
Nihilism's worth a spin,
Then despair comes crashing in
Suicide just didn't take.
Surely something is at stake?
Could it be he'll find it's worth
Striving for a true rebirth?
Self-improvement: worth a try,
Though all past ways it does defy?
Selflessness for its own sake?
Turn away from all that's fake?
Helping, saving, giving, tears.
Authentic feelings, first in years.
Abandoning the ways of old
Lets in truth, releases cold.
Something genuine and kind
Allows this man his best to find.
Is this conversion? God at work?
Or one colossal cosmic quirk?
The Poetry Friday round up is at Mainely Write.