Friday, February 28, 2014

Poetry Friday: Anne Porter

Too perfect and beautiful not to share, even though I've run it before.

A Short Testament
by Anne Porter

Whatever harm I may have done
In all my life in all your wide creation
If I cannot repair it
I beg you to repair it,

And then there are all the wounded
The poor the deaf the lonely and the old
Whom I have roughly dismissed
As if I were not one of them.

(Read the rest here, at The Writer's Almanac. You really have to experience the final lines of the poem.)


The Poetry Friday round up is at Anastasia Suen's blog, Poet! Poet!


Keri said...

Such a powerful, heartfelt cry for mercy. Very moving. Thanks for sharing!

jama said...

Wow -- hadn't seen it before. Beautiful and moving.

LInda Baie said...

Really special, Karen. I haven't seen this before either. Thank you!

Mary Lee said...

Perfect poem. Perfect timing. Thanks.

Karen Edmisten said...

I see you all feel the same way about this poem as I do. :)

Bridget Magee said...

Powerful words! Thank you for sharing, Karen.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, Bridget!