Friday, February 28, 2014

Poetry Friday: Anne Porter


Too perfect and beautiful not to share, even though I've run it before.

A Short Testament
by Anne Porter

Whatever harm I may have done
In all my life in all your wide creation
If I cannot repair it
I beg you to repair it,

And then there are all the wounded
The poor the deaf the lonely and the old
Whom I have roughly dismissed
As if I were not one of them.

(Read the rest here, at The Writer's Almanac. You really have to experience the final lines of the poem.)

~~~~~~~~~~

The Poetry Friday round up is at Anastasia Suen's blog, Poet! Poet!

7 comments:

Keri said...

Such a powerful, heartfelt cry for mercy. Very moving. Thanks for sharing!

jama said...

Wow -- hadn't seen it before. Beautiful and moving.

Linda B said...

Really special, Karen. I haven't seen this before either. Thank you!

Mary Lee said...

Perfect poem. Perfect timing. Thanks.

Karen Edmisten said...

I see you all feel the same way about this poem as I do. :)

Bridget Magee said...

Powerful words! Thank you for sharing, Karen.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, Bridget!