Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Nerdy Summer Fun

Naturally we were in desperate need of a few new books, since we just sold eleven bags of old ones. Our local bookstore had a sale on used (i.e., dirt cheap) books, so we came home with a few:


Ramona has been perusing the Totally Irresponsible Science book and she has responsibly informed me that, "It's not really irresponsible, Mom. There are lots of safety warnings."

In other nerdy pursuits, Ramona found an intriguing feather in the backyard, and we started Googling.


Her guess (a Downy Woodpecker?) went into her Nature Scrapbook, on (appropriately) the Feathers page: 


And in other news, Ramona finally fulfilled a lifelong ambition and was called up to assist a magician during a magic show at the library. The magician was also a balloon artist, and for her participation, Ramona got this cool jet pack:


I, on the other hand, was slightly humiliated when I couldn't get the main balloon for the jet pack blown up. I finally get a shot at helping a magician, only to display my lack of lung power? This is the story of my nerdy life.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Have I ever recommended Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series to you? If not, consider this a recommendation.

Jennifer said...

M is reading the Charlotte (in New York...) books now after you linked to them. She's really enjoying them! Thanks.

Karen Edmisten said...

Liz, yes, that one's been on our shelf for years. My older girls never really got into it for some reason, but it's been on my to-read list for Ramona!

Jennifer, so happy M is enjoying them! We are, too!