Sunday, January 06, 2013

Bits and Pieces of Our Days: The Epiphany Edition

As our Christmas break comes to a close, I'm thinking about the lovely bits and pieces that came together to make it a great couple of weeks:

* Our break was relaxing. We used to do some traveling over the Christmas break. Our families are spread out all over the country -- most live far, far away, by land, sea or air. (Ok, not really by sea. Just land and air. But the point is that we're spread out.) Until about ten years ago, we sometimes had some family come to stay with us, or we went somewhere, but as situations changed or ice storms altered plans, our Christmases evolved into, "We stay home, indulge in nuclear family traditions, and see extended family at other times of the year." This may be the best family/holiday decision we ever made.

* Staying up late, sleeping in, reading books, cooking, baking, hanging out and talking. Relaxing.

* That said, we did get to see a couple of Atticus's sisters (he comes from a family of 12 children, and no, they weren't Catholic) and their families a few days after Christmas, and that was a lot of fun.

* We finally got together with friends for that gingerbread house party. The results were sweet:


* Atticus, Anne-with-an-e, Betsy, and I went to see Les Miserables. My quick review: I loved it. I can forgive some of the less-than-Broadway quality voices in exchange for the intimacy of the film experience of the show, which added a different and beautiful dimension which I fully appreciated. Beautifully done. Small objections here and there (did you really need to change a lyric in the epilogue ... leaving out "Your mother gave her life for you...." I was waiting to hear that one!) but overall, highly recommended for fans of the stage show. Bring loads of tissues. I had puffy eyes and a headache afterward. 

* Atticus and I got out for a date and went to see Lincoln. Oh. my. Daniel Day Lewis was incredible. Such an affecting, human, gorgeous portrayal of Abraham Lincoln. Powerful movie. I'm not a huge Sally Field fan, but at least she didn't ruin anything for me. Atticus and I both thought the final shot should have been the one in which Lincoln walks away, heading out for a night at the theater. We know what happens after that; not really necessary. Recommend, recommend, recommend. 

* Girl Time.  Fun to get out shopping with my teens for boots and purses while Ramona had a playdate, and fun to spend time with Ramona on one of her surprisingly favorite things (surprising because my nails haven't seen polish in years.) I did the "Cute Polish Designs - Water Marble" technique that she'd been wanting to try. It took a long time, and didn't turn out quite like the video, but the final result was pretty and she was happy. Good enough! 


There's more, of course, but I'm out of time! Will be blogging more soon, now that Christmas break is over....

No comments: