Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bits and Pieces of Our Days

If you'd like to win a copy of A Little Way of Homeschooling, go visit Barbara Curtis at Mommy Life and leave a comment on her post before May 2, when she'll be doing a drawing.

~~~~~

Review News: 

Two very different books (both coauthored by Mike Aquilina):

The Mass: The Glory, the Mystery, the Tradition by Cardinal Donald Wuerl and Mike Aquilina

This will be a two-word review:

Buy it.

It's a guide to our greatest prayer. In light of the upcoming new translation of the Roman Missal, The Mass offers both refresher course and devotional, theological explication and practical explanation. You may think you know all you need to know about the Mass, but the Mass is the heart of our faith. Are we ever ready to stop learning and plumbing the depths of our heart?

(That was more than two words.)

Dion: The Wanderer Talks Truth by Dion DiMucci (with Mike Aquilina)

Fast facts:
*Dion is his real name.
*He reads St. Augustine.
*He knows that James Joyce defined the Catholic Church as "Here comes everybody."
*This is a moving, fun, and inspiring read.
*I am now going to tell people that I am two degrees of separation from everyone famous because I have spoken to Mike Aquilina on the phone, and Mike knows Dion and Dion knows everyone. Therefore, I think I'm related to Bruce Springsteen.


And one final quick review of a sweet dvd:

Brother Francis: The Bread of Life: I actually asked Ramona to review this one for me. She liked it. She felt it was a little "young" for her (she's almost nine) but I think it would work well for 7-8 year olds who are preparing for First Holy Communion.
~~~~~

My new favorite browser add-on: Read Later Fast.  Go to the link to find out why it's helpful. Or read it later.

~~~~~

I have completely missed National Poetry Month. It was sortakindanearlyalmost on my radar, but I have been so busy with other things that I've been ignoring the radar. Still and all, I am always, in one way or another, thinking of poetry, so here's a poem for a Thursday:


Emily Dickinson's To-Do List

Monday
Figure out what to wear—white dress?
Put hair in bun
Bake gingerbread for Sue
Peer out window at passersby
Write poem
Hide poem

Tuesday
White dress? Off-white dress?
Feed cats
Chat with Lavinia
Work in garden
Letter to T.W.H
(Read the whole thing here, at The Writer's Almanac.)

3 comments:

Faith said...

Wow, you know Bruce Springsteen! LOL! I once kissed a boy who looked like Springsteen, well to me at least, which is why I kissed him.

I want to read the Wuerl co-authored book. He's almost my bishop (I'm in Northern Va but we read a lot about the bishop of Washington DC).

I love the Emily Dickinson to do list! Too funny!

Sue said...

One of the other contributors to "A Little Way of Homeschooling" sent me a copy just to be sweet after the whole earthquake and pick-up and move thing that we've been going through. I just read your chapter yesterday, and made a mental note to myself to write and tell you how much I loved it. Now, here you've given me the perfect chance!

The whole book has been very encouraging to me, because, though I have never thought of myself as an "unschooler" our homeschooling certainly has evolved into something a lot closer to that than when we started out. What you wrote resonated with me a lot, and encouraged me so much. Thanks!

Karen Edmisten said...

Sue -- thank you! How sweet that you were sent a copy. "Evolved" is the key here, too. Our homeschool isn't what I originally envisioned when my oldest was in first grade, but rather has become what works best for us.

Faith, I'll keep you posted about the next time the Boss'll be dropping by here for dinner. :)