Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Call Me a Slacker, But ...


... I think sleep is a sublime invention.

Contrary to what much of contemporary culture thinks, I don't think sleep is weak -- except in the beautiful sense expressed in this article by Msgr. Stuart Swetland. Yes, I am weak. And I need sleep.

I don't think it's a luxury, as in the Warren Zevonian I'll-Sleep-When-I'm Dead-tradition.

I think it's necessary, valuable, normal and -- seriously -- better than anti-aging cream.

And, lack of the stuff seems to breeding a nation of people afflicted with Attention Deficit Disorder, as mentioned this article.

So, call me a slacker, but I'm letting my kids sleep in. Way in. It's one of the most important things on our list of "Summer Vacation Ideas."

(Photo courtesy of Andrew Haarsager at StockXchng.com)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been spending too much time on FaceBook - I looked for a 'Like' button at the end of this post!

Karen Edmisten said...

Laura, that is too funny, because I have a blog post started about how Facebook is ruining my blogging life. :)

Anonymous said...

Amen sister! We all function better here with plenty of sleep!

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Hear! hear! Can't get enough sleep round here.