Friday, April 23, 2010

Poetry Friday: It's just one of those "I Love Billy Collins" days



Litany 
by Billy Collins

You are the bread and the knife,
The crystal goblet and the wine . . .
Jacques Crickillon
You are the bread and the knife,   
the crystal goblet and the wine.   
You are the dew on the morning grass   
and the burning wheel of the sun.   
You are the white apron of the baker   
and the marsh birds suddenly in flight.   

However, you are not the wind in the orchard,   
the plums on the counter,   
or the house of cards.   
And you are certainly not the pine-scented air.   
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air.   



~~~~~~~

The  Poetry Friday round up is at Picture Book of the Day.

5 comments:

jama said...

I could have sworn "I" was the bread and the knife. Can there be more than one of us? :D

Melanie Bettinelli said...

"but you are not even close
to being the field of cornflowers at dusk."

I love Billy Collins! How I love Billy Collins. He makes the whole day sunny. A perfect antidote to two cranky girls with runny-nose colds.

(My verification word is "andsoup". I guess I can handle being the soup.)

Laura said...

Hi Karen,

Billy Collins is the chocolate in frappe!

Laura Evans
all things poetry

Mary Lee said...

YAY! I love it when Billy Collins comes to Poetry Friday!

Collette said...

I adore Billy Collins too. My new obsession is the work of Margaret Perkins Briggs. I stumbled over a photo of her on Flickr and felt compelled to read her work. You can read a little of her work here: http://skyways.lib.ks.us/poetry/hoopes/trees.html

I tend to like modern poetry without a rhyme scheme, but I do find her style to be beautiful. I hope you like it!