Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Holy Week: Are we there yet?

Nope.

Lent is -- what, really? -- not quite half over.

I haven't been talking much about it, as I'm afraid I'll whine about the things I've given up.

One of the things I gave up is about as objectively good as it gets, and I'll not lie and say that I don't miss it. I do. But it's also good to know that I can actually live without it. Today when Atticus and I did Morning Prayer, one of the petitions asked that we be delivered from "slavery to the senses which blinds us to goodness."

What an excellent petition to return to again and again during Lent -- because isn't that why we make these sacrifices? To be released from such slavery? Instead of whining about what I miss, I should be rejoicing.

I'm working on that part. Inside, I'm cheering. Really.

No comments: