Monday, January 26, 2009

Bits and Pieces of Our Days

Anne-with-an-e and Betsy watched Bella again the other night. They asked me, "What is Marvin Gaye?"

"He's not a what, he's a who. He was a singer in the seventies."

"Oh!" said Anne. "When Nina said she could use a hot bath and some Marvin Gaye, I thought maybe it was a wine."

~~~~~~~~~~

We are all loving a current, fun read-aloud, Ginger Pye. Eleanor Estes was the best kind of children's writer: she knew how children's minds work, she could sound exactly like a child, and convey the way everything in a child's world is weighted with great import, without mocking them, and without talking down to them. In this way, her writing reminds me of Lissa Wiley's.

~~~~~~~~~~

I picked up The American Story, 100 True Tales from History at the library, but haven't yet had a chance to peruse. Anyone seen it?

~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday, when Ramona got up and I asked her, "How are you today?" she replied that she was "feeling chipper!" Such a good way to start a Sunday.

~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE The American Story - it's one of our favorite books. Just plain fun reading. The grasshopper story from LH is in there and Boston being covered in molasses (I think?). Anyway it's a fun way to spark interest.

Theresa said...

We love American story also. Very readable.

Anonymous said...

We read Ginger Pye last fall and my kids and I all loved it. I recently picked up Pinky Pye at the library and we are reading that aloud now. It is a cat story this time (although Ginger is still around!) with all of the same wonderful characteristics you described. I recommend it when you want another dose of her excellent writing!