Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Strive to be content ...."

"Strive to live content in the midst of those things that cause your discontent. Free your mind from all that troubles you, God will take care of things. You will be unable to make haste in this [choice] without, so to speak, grieving the heart of God, because he sees that you do not honor him sufficiently with holy trust. Trust in him, I beg you, and you will have the fulfillment of what your heart desires."

---St. Vincent de Paul, Letters

with thanks to Debra Murphy and her "Quotes for Catholic Writers" mailing list

4 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Thank you, Karen. It was good for me to read these words this morning.

When I was teaching in France, my host family brought me to St. Vincent de Paul's childhood home. I have pictures of the 100-year-old oak tree (le chĂȘne as the French called it) in his front yard!

Anyway, I have since had a very special fondness for this sweet little saint of a man with the mighty spirituality.

Sarah Reinhard said...

I too needed this. I often (always?) need to be reminded that GOD is in control...but it's easier said than done (for me).

Blessings to you on this fine fall Sunday!

Anonymous said...

This quote from St. V de P seems to me like a cross between the Desiderata and Proverbs 3:5-6.

And for Margaret and Sarah, please remember that in the Book of Proverbs, there are really no "suggestions". If we look at the Bible as infallible, then we should look very closely at these verses. Trust in the Lord with ALL of your heart (and never just part of it) and lean not to thine own understanding (don't listen to the voices in your head) but in all they ways (not just a few of thy ways) acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy path. He will. Trusting like it says in Proverbs 3 means to sit behind the wheel of a high performance car perched on the top of a winding mountain road, blindfold yourself, sit on your hands, and mash the gas pedal to the floor. Of course, that was a very much a "guy" point of view. But you get the point.

Liz said...

Thanks,Karen, these are words I really needed to read today (even if I don't feel like waiting as long as I have for some prayers to be answered is the very definition of not hasty answers... I'm sure you understand what I mean SIGH!)