Monday, July 07, 2008

Whooo is it? Or, why I love my husband and kids

At about midnight, just as Atticus and I were getting ready for bed, we heard the soft hooting of an owl from somewhere nearby. We don't usually get to hear owls in our yard. I wasn't sure if the girls had ever actually heard one, so my first reaction was, "We should wake them up so they can hear this!"

Then, I heard them (my girls, not the owls) still talking and laughing in their room. I told them to get up, come and listen. We lined up at the window in my bedroom, listening, whispering, watching fireflies, feeling the cool breeze and wondering where our hooting visitor was hiding. He sounded exactly like this.

We didn't have to say much, really. It was just a lovely moment together when we all felt the magic of nighttime and nature and being a family. None of us had to say it, but we all knew that lined up at the window in my bedroom was the perfect place to be.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That sounds lovely. And what a bunch of night owls you all are- up till midnight! (Yes, that pun was intended!!)