Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Retreat-in-a-book

By way of the treasure trove that is the Catholic Educator's Resource Center, comes this chapter from the book I Believe in Love: Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Thérèse of Lisieux, by Fr. Jean C.J. D'Elbee.

For a mom, the idea of going on a retreat is often an outlying dream. But, this kind of retreat I can do (eventually.) This book is going on the wish list.

Another "retreat-in-a-book" that I loved was Fr. John Hardon's Retreat with the Lord: A Popular Guide to the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola. So many gems to be found there, such as the quick-but-perfect discernment guideline I mentioned here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I am going to check out the Hardon book because my husband and I have been looking for something to more thoroughly guide our discernment process and have always heard great things about the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius.

Jane Ramsey said...

"I Believe in Love" is a beautiful book. I used to have it a long time ago...I'll have to see if I can get another copy. Thanks for the reminder, Karen!